How to Customize Your Facebook Fan Page
In my last post, I talked about creating your own Facebook page and gave you the links. However, I assume a lot of you are wondering how to customize the page after you’ve made it.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to create only one page. For example, you could create a Fan Page for your company and another for the product you sell, and yet another for services you offer.
Here is a step-by step on how to customize your Facebook fan page, along with tips and tricks for making it more effective:
1) Click on this link
2) It will take you to the main Facebook Page area
3) Take a moment to read through it and explore
4) Click on “Create a Facebook Fan Page”
5) You’ll be taken to a beginning page. Here, choose what you’re promoting.
- For Category:
- If you’re generally promoting your business, select your industry. If they don’t list your industry, select “other business”
- If you’re promoting a brand or product, choose that option and select your brand or product’s industry. If its not listed, select “Products”
- Ditto for Artist, Band or Public Figure
6) Complete the captcha and click on “Create Page”
7) Your main page will appear. Take a second to get familiar with it
8) Click on “Upload Picture” to the bottom left of the question mark image
9) Browse for the photo you want to be on your main page, agree to TOS and upload the picture
10) Now check the thumbnail version and make sure your picture or logo is centered, then save it.
Note: anytime you want to remove a picture, go through the same process above and once you get to the main picture page, select the image you want to delete and remove it.
11) Now click on the next tab over (above the image you uploaded) “Basic Info”
12) Enter your address, company phone number and hours of operation, then save
13) Move to the next tab over and it will ask for a few more details:
- Under Website, list website.
- Under Parking, choose the appropriate option
- Under Public Transit, yes or no will suffice
14) Now click on “Back to editing (insert company name)” in the upper right hand corner and it will take you back to your original profile editing page.
Note: If you choose “Profile” in the blue strip above, this will take you to your main Facebook profile. TO get back to your Fan Page, look to the far left of your profile page and you’ll see a small list under the search bar with the title “Applications.”
15) Look to your right and you’ll see a caution sign; click the red text that says “publish this Page”
16) Now your page is published!
17) Go down to discussion boards and click “edit”, then “start new topic”
18) Pick a general topic to start out, like “What are the best ways to promote your website?” Under Post, add a description of your topic, an opinion, an idea and etc
19) Then click “back to (insert company name here)” and it will take you back to your main Facebook Fan Page.
20) From here, you can add photos, videos, events, notes, reviews of your company and more
21) Now find some fans!
Keep in mind that unique approaches work best. For example, think about a collaborative process that ENGAGES your users. If you have a cool new product, for example, tell them about it and ask their opinion. Get feedback and encourage discussion. Create a community centered on your industry and service or product, but remember to woo people, not to hit them in the face.